Monday, March 15, 2010

OK here goes a new recipe, wish me luck! It falls into the category I like to try and follow and that is meals 400 calories and under...I'll let you know if it is worthy of the post, I guess I should have done a post post instead of a pre post!
Bon Appetit!

Beef Bok Choy Stew

Stewing beef meat - 1lb
Green onions (chopped) - 1 cup
Garlic (minced) - 1 clove
Ginger (minced) - 1 tsp
Bok choy (chopped) - 2 cups
Carrots (chopped) - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Beef broth - 1 cup
Rice vinegar - 1/4 cup
Light soy sauce - 1/3 cup
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Olive oil - 1 tbsp

Cooking Instructions
Cut the beef into bite sized chunks
Combine beef broth, water, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar
Heat oil in a pot to medium-high
Add in the beef and brown all sides then add in the broth mixture along with garlic and ginger
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is soft, then mix in the carrots
Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are soft, then add in the bok choy
Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until the bok choy is soft
Serve over brown rice

Nutrition Facts
Servings: 4
Calories: 369
Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Monounsaturated Fat: 4.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g
Protein: 26.3g
Carbs: 32g
Fiber: 3.5g
Cholesterol: 71mg



3 comments:

  1. OK made this dish with a little bit of alteration...first off it doesn't tell you when to add the green onions and I probably did so too early, I added them with the carrots and should have maybe waited to add them at the time of the bok choy. Another thing I did different was to triple the garlic, and the ginger. I also doubled the meat cause the fluid really would have overwhelmed the dish. I also added some red pepper flakes, but upon serving added some hot sauce, not salsa, but hot sauce to it and it really was yummy! I would recommend cooking the meat in a slow cooker with the sauce after browning it... or simmer it for a lot longer than recommended. But the boys did go back for seconds, good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many men are you feeding, these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know I started a pretty consistent system for dinner themes not because I didn't know what to cook, but because I always have too many ideas.Monday is soup night(aka clean out the fridge), tues is mexican cause Cat was born on Cinco de Mayo and it was a tues, weds we're trying to make vegetarian, thurs is either take out(of the freezer!),or perhaps stir fry or burger since it rhymes (see what my problem is).Friday I keep voting for fish and no, we're not converted to catholicism, sat is BBQ/steak, and sunday works well for roasts, stews etc. I think the real trick is having a good handful of crock pot recipes and freezing leftover bean soups, spaghetti for individ. lunches.We haven't eaten out in a long long time, and taking lunches is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete